Thursday 27 October 2022

Me versus towels and throwing

Throw in the towel

It's been quite the few months for throwing. Back in July plenty of people were throwing their hat in the ring, but this weekend there was talk of some throwing in the towel.

Now on the surface this sounds easy but then you soon have a couple of questions to answer:
1) Which size of towel? Face? Hand? Bath? Beach? Tea?
2) And where to throw it?

The two are clearly related. A tea towel into a parked-up convertible is definitely on the easy side while even the best thrower would struggle to get a beach towel into a kettle.

In a rare move for this series I was going to have to do a bit of research. Turns out this is from boxing. A towel is thrown into a boxing ring. (Throwing into rings again! Who'd have thought it?)

I know of a boxing gym that's not too much of a bus ride away so I made my towel selection (hand) and headed to the bus stop.

I arrived at the gym, paid my admission money and went on in. Once through the doors I realised that a small but noisy crowd was in attendance and a boxing match was under way. This complicated matters.

Throwing my towel into an empty ring would have looked odd but not inconvenienced anyone. Now there was a risk of hitting a boxer or the referee with the towel or possibly causing a trip hazard. Still, I'd  spent my bus money to get here so I'd have to take my chances.

I moved a bit closer and lobbed the towel into the ring, making sure it was away from the action. Immediately the referee pointed at someone and a bell was rung. Had I won a prize or something? 

There was suddenly a lot of confusion. The referee was trying to establish which of the boxer's representatives had thrown the towel in. It turns out this is quite important and indicates a concession of the match. I should have done a bit more research.

Someone in the crowd pointed me out as the person who threw the towel. I was asked which boxer I represented. When I said: "Neither. I only threw the towel in to get some content for a blog about clichés with an extremely low readership," there was a brief moment of silence. Then I heard someone shout: "Get him!"

Now I'm not much of a runner but I'm much less of a fighter, and those appeared to be my choices at that moment. 

Reader, I legged it.

Conclusion: If you're going to throw a towel then perhaps stick to doing it in the privacy of your own home. Stay away from boxing rings with your towel. Very important that.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Me versus Teaching and Not Doing

Those who can do, those that can't teach Pretty good one to test this. If only I could think of something I can't do... only joking....