Monday 3 July 2023

Me versus Thoughts and Pennies

A penny for your thoughts

I had a quiet moment at the place where I volunteer recently so I took myself off to the 'snug' area and sat down. I must have had a contemplative look on my face as a visitor looked over to me and said: 'Penny for your thoughts."

"Well," my reply began, "over the last ten years or so I've been writing a series of blog posts where I take clichés literally but I'm worried that I'm starting to run out of ideas."

"On top of that, next to nobody reads these and there's even less feedback. I'm wondering if it's worth carrying on."

The visitor looked at me briefly before saying: "Okaaaaaaaaayy" in that really sarcastic way that people do now with that extended 'ay' sound and then started to walk off.

"Hold on," I said. "Where's my penny?" The visitor looked confused so I repeated my question adding that my recently relayed thoughts were part of a verbally agreed commercial transaction.

After a second or two they replied: "Sorry mate, don't carry cash these days" and headed for the exit. This was very disappointing behaviour on their account so they're banned now.

Conclusion: Be very careful who you give your thoughts to if they make this offer. In fact, you might want to get the penny up front first to be on the safe side.

Next time: I say boo to a goose.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Me versus Teaching and Not Doing

Those who can do, those that can't teach Pretty good one to test this. If only I could think of something I can't do... only joking....